Since 1894, Danes Hall has been anchored to the granite ledge at the northernmost end of Waupaca's Main Street. The building was a welcoming beacon to the Danish immigrants as they arrived at the Waupaca Train Depot just west of the Hall.  The building housed a library, meeting rooms, and a grand ballroom.  They brought with them the fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen, artwork of the Skagen painters, and Nordic heritage that is engrained in Wisconsin's culture. It was here that the young Danes launched their American adventure, learning the language, customs and national history of their adopted country.  They danced, sang, and celebrated life events here.  Now, six generations later, we fondly recall days of old and add new memories to the fairy taled story of Danes Hall. 

Danes Hall of Waupaca is listed by the US Department of Interior on the National Registry of Historic Places; and by the Wisconsin Historical Society on the Wisconsin Registry of Historic Places.

Historic Facts

  • Location- 301 N. Main Street Waupaca Wisconsin 54981
  • Date of completion - November 22, 1894
  • Date of Dedication - November 29, 1894
  • Attendance at Dedication - 400
  • Architect - William Waters
  • Cost of construction - $7000.
  • Total time to complete construction - Less than 4 months
  • Cost of building lot - $600.
  • Total square footage of building - 8500 Square feet
  • Square footage of ballroom - 2400 Square feet
  • Height  of ballroom ceiling  - 18 Feet
  • Maximum number of active Danes Home Society members - 150
  • Number of books in Danes Home Society Library - 1000+
  • Number of years the building served the Danes Home Society - 50
  • Number of years the building served as a sheet metal shop - 30
  • Date of first ever wedding in the building- 9/14/2019: Mr. and Mrs. Eric Bowlen
  • On January 28th 2020, Danes Hall of Waupaca was presented with a Face Lift Award and the Grand Face Lift Award from Waupaca's Chamber of Commerce